Six Sentence Sunday – 9/16/12

Today is #sixsunday where writers share six sentences from their work.

NEWS: MUST LOVE BREECHES finaled in Heart of Denver’s Molly contest in the paranormal category! I also finally finished polishing the sucker and sent it out into query land–fingers crossed!

Today’s Six Sunday is from STEAM ME UP, RAWLEY, my steampunk romance set in Mobile, AL. Everyone, including the new boarder Dr. Rawley, is sitting down to dinner. They’ve been eating and talking away for a bit when their automaton butler comes in to announce breakfast instead of dinner. The heroine’s brother Robert was asked if he could fix it and he makes a bad pun about his mechanical left hand. This picks up exactly where we left off:

Everyone else groaned at the poor pun, but Adele flinched, horrified he could joke about the loss of his hand. She turned back to Dr. Rawley and asked, “Why did you cross the Atlantic if you’re not the adventuresome sort? And why Mobile?”

The door shut behind Robert and Walter, and she relaxed a fraction.

Her father interrupted. “Adele, let the poor man have a proper supper without you badgering him.”

As always I welcome constructive feedback.

To see snippets from others who are participating or to sign up yourself, visit here.

Thank you to everyone who comes by and comments each week!

About these ads

1. Congrats again! And fingers crossed for you on the querying. I’m sure you’ll have much success. :)

I love these snippets. Although I wish I could have heard Dr. Rawley’s answer! Maybe next week? :)

2. Keep us updated on BREECHES!

And great six!

3. YAY! Congratulations! Keep me updated on your querying! Love this six — you’ve packed a lot in here, not just plot but character revelation, as well. We see where Adele fits in.

4. Funny! I love how she’s so uptight about her brother’s behavior, but her father finds issue with HER behavior. And I hope Dr. Rawley answers that question anyway. Great six, and CONGRATS on finaling in the contest.

5. Congrats on your final and great six!

6. Another great six! You’re making a steampunk fan out of me for sure!

7. Great news on the contest Angela. This is a fun six. I love seeing the interaction between family members. I wonder what her father would have said if he’d seen Adele meeting Rawley, what with that cravat flying off!

8. Good luck in query land! I don’t think it’ll be long before you have more great news to share with us! ;) I agree with Stephanie. You’ve packed a lot into so few word–gives a great feel for this world.

9. This sounds like a great read! I enjoyed your six.

10. I love seeing the family dynamics. And congratulations on your final!

11. My thoughts mirror some of the others – you have a great family dynamic going on here! They’re all so very real, and this is such a fun story. (Congrats, congrats!)

12. Congratulations on more contest success, glad it’s polished and in query land, one step closer to sold. The dynamics of a family show so much, intriguing 6.

13. Yay on the Molly! I’ve said it before, but I really love MUST LOVE BREECHES! Now, to this week’s six. Very pertinent questions, especially to a young woman with an inquiring mind! But now I wonder if her father knows more than he’s saying? *waggles brows*

14. I remember Breeches very well good luck – it will be published. And yes another family story here

15. Yes, let the man eat. Then give him the third degree. Congrats on the latest finalization (probably not the right word). We’ll be seeing Must Love Breeches in bookstores.

16. Well, ok, don’t badger him, but we all do want the answer LOL! Terrific excerpt, great news on the contest!

17. Monica Enderle Pierce

/  September 16, 2012

She sounds like a perfectly proper lady with a perfectly improper inquisitive mind. I like her! (And congrats and good luck!)

18. Very nice writing, and interesting snippet. Want to read more!

19. Great flow from beginning to end with plausible reactions and conversation. Congrats on BREECHES. I have fingers (and toes) crossed for you!

20. Congrats on BREECHES! I like this snippet and the dialogue. I’d like to hear Mr. Rawlings answer to her question.

21. Congrats! And great six! I like steampunk romance and I like that its set in the south, since I just moved from there (Atlanta).

22. Congrats on the final, Angela! Will have all available fingers crossed for your submission. Best of luck with it.

23. Congrats and good luck!!!

Nice six.

also w/a
    Cera duBois

24. Yay on finaling and good luck with the queries. Intriguing six. I want to know more now.

25. I’ve never really tried steampunk (unless you count Jules Verne and H. G. Wells) but you’re tempting me.

26. Sorry I’m so late getting by. Loved you six.