Six Sentence Sunday – 9/16/12

Today is #sixsunday where writers share six sentences from their work.

NEWS: MUST LOVE BREECHES finaled in Heart of Denver’s Molly contest in the paranormal category! I also finally finished polishing the sucker and sent it out into query land–fingers crossed!

Today’s Six Sunday is from STEAM ME UP, RAWLEY, my steampunk romance set in Mobile, AL. Everyone, including the new boarder Dr. Rawley, is sitting down to dinner. They’ve been eating and talking away for a bit when their automaton butler comes in to announce breakfast instead of dinner. The heroine’s brother Robert was asked if he could fix it and he makes a bad pun about his mechanical left hand. This picks up exactly where we left off:

Everyone else groaned at the poor pun, but Adele flinched, horrified he could joke about the loss of his hand. She turned back to Dr. Rawley and asked, “Why did you cross the Atlantic if you’re not the adventuresome sort? And why Mobile?”

The door shut behind Robert and Walter, and she relaxed a fraction.

Her father interrupted. “Adele, let the poor man have a proper supper without you badgering him.”

As always I welcome constructive feedback.

To see snippets from others who are participating or to sign up yourself, visit here.

Thank you to everyone who comes by and comments each week!

, , , ,

26 Responses to Six Sentence Sunday – 9/16/12

1. Donna Cummings September 16, 2012 at 7:19 am #

Congrats again! And fingers crossed for you on the querying. I’m sure you’ll have much success. :)

I love these snippets. Although I wish I could have heard Dr. Rawley’s answer! Maybe next week? :)

2. Sarah W September 16, 2012 at 7:47 am #

Keep us updated on BREECHES!

And great six!

3. Stephanie/Elise September 16, 2012 at 8:37 am #

YAY! Congratulations! Keep me updated on your querying! Love this six — you’ve packed a lot in here, not just plot but character revelation, as well. We see where Adele fits in.

4. K.E. Saxon September 16, 2012 at 8:53 am #

Funny! I love how she’s so uptight about her brother’s behavior, but her father finds issue with HER behavior. And I hope Dr. Rawley answers that question anyway. Great six, and CONGRATS on finaling in the contest.

5. Dee Carney September 16, 2012 at 9:47 am #

Congrats on your final and great six!

6. Joyce Scarbrough September 16, 2012 at 10:12 am #

Another great six! You’re making a steampunk fan out of me for sure!

7. Owllady/Marcia September 16, 2012 at 10:18 am #

Great news on the contest Angela. This is a fun six. I love seeing the interaction between family members. I wonder what her father would have said if he’d seen Adele meeting Rawley, what with that cravat flying off!

8. J.M. Blackman September 16, 2012 at 10:39 am #

Good luck in query land! I don’t think it’ll be long before you have more great news to share with us! 😉 I agree with Stephanie. You’ve packed a lot into so few word–gives a great feel for this world.

9. Gemma Parkes September 16, 2012 at 11:06 am #

This sounds like a great read! I enjoyed your six.

10. Carrie-Anne September 16, 2012 at 11:27 am #

I love seeing the family dynamics. And congratulations on your final!

11. sarahballance September 16, 2012 at 11:57 am #

My thoughts mirror some of the others – you have a great family dynamic going on here! They’re all so very real, and this is such a fun story. (Congrats, congrats!)

12. S. J. Maylee September 16, 2012 at 12:02 pm #

Congratulations on more contest success, glad it’s polished and in query land, one step closer to sold. The dynamics of a family show so much, intriguing 6.

13. Silver James September 16, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

Yay on the Molly! I’ve said it before, but I really love MUST LOVE BREECHES! Now, to this week’s six. Very pertinent questions, especially to a young woman with an inquiring mind! But now I wonder if her father knows more than he’s saying? *waggles brows*

14. Sue September 16, 2012 at 1:21 pm #

I remember Breeches very well good luck – it will be published. And yes another family story here

15. Kate Warren September 16, 2012 at 2:19 pm #

Yes, let the man eat. Then give him the third degree. Congrats on the latest finalization (probably not the right word). We’ll be seeing Must Love Breeches in bookstores.

16. veronicascott September 16, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

Well, ok, don’t badger him, but we all do want the answer LOL! Terrific excerpt, great news on the contest!

17. Monica Enderle Pierce September 16, 2012 at 3:09 pm #

She sounds like a perfectly proper lady with a perfectly improper inquisitive mind. I like her! (And congrats and good luck!)

18. raerenzi September 16, 2012 at 3:19 pm #

Very nice writing, and interesting snippet. Want to read more!

19. Mae Clair September 16, 2012 at 3:23 pm #

Great flow from beginning to end with plausible reactions and conversation. Congrats on BREECHES. I have fingers (and toes) crossed for you!

20. Frank Fisher September 16, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

Congrats on BREECHES! I like this snippet and the dialogue. I’d like to hear Mr. Rawlings answer to her question.

21. Siren A. Star September 16, 2012 at 4:59 pm #

Congrats! And great six! I like steampunk romance and I like that its set in the south, since I just moved from there (Atlanta).

22. Kylie Scott September 16, 2012 at 6:04 pm #

Congrats on the final, Angela! Will have all available fingers crossed for your submission. Best of luck with it.

23. Sara Walter Ellwood September 16, 2012 at 7:18 pm #

Congrats and good luck!!!

Nice six.

also w/a
    Cera duBois

24. Heather Boyd September 16, 2012 at 10:22 pm #

Yay on finaling and good luck with the queries. Intriguing six. I want to know more now.

25. sueannbowlingauthor September 16, 2012 at 11:45 pm #

I’ve never really tried steampunk (unless you count Jules Verne and H. G. Wells) but you’re tempting me.

26. ellaquinnauthor September 17, 2012 at 11:53 am #

Sorry I’m so late getting by. Loved you six.