Song playing right now on my playlist: “Stray Cat Strut” by Stray Cats
Writing and the Writing Life:
- Dealing with back story in your opening chapter? Linda Clare has some tips: Don’t Look Back: Dealing with Flash Backs
- Mooderino talks about getting writing advice and how you might be giving or receiving bad advice once a writers reaches a certain level: Bad Advice for Writers
- On Tuesday, agents from the Knight Agency will be hosting a lunch chat on twitter! Great chance to ask questions about the publishing process, but please don’t pitch to them!
- Jane Friedman has some great advice for marketing your book: The Marketing Paradox: Start Small to Get Big
- I want to wish good luck to all my writer friends who entered the RITA and Golden Heart contests! The finalists will be notified by 2 PM CST Monday! *fingers crossed*
- I LOVED this post by Damon Suede. It’s a great tool for characterization. Instead of thinking of an adjective or noun to describe your H/h, what is their verb? Add Verbs: Creating Characters that Pop Off the Page by Damon Suede
- Anne Glover posted Regency Culture and Society: A Primer on Household Staff
- This art exhibit features a low-tech gadget that aims to create a crowdsourced set of images from visitors and so was named ADA in honor of Lady Lovelace
- For his 41st birthday, Nathan Fillion has asked folks to donate to this charity to provide clean water
- I posted this on my Nathan Fillion Monday Hunk Who Reads post, but I don’t think I did it here. Anyway, there’s a Hey Girl, Nathan Fillion meme to follow on Tumblr
- Into Steampunk? Here’s some events lined up for April
- So cool of them– Stephen Fry and Ian McKellen to pay for the copyright license of a Southhampton pub called The Hobbit, which has been in business for 20 years and is now being served notice of copyright infringement due to upcoming movie.
- And I’ll leave you with this (h/t Katie MacAlister). It makes me giggle and it’s one of the few times where reading the comments is rewarding and not annoying. (Yes, it’s the Imperial Death March!):