Lord, I’m such a waffler! In my last post My NaNoWriMo Dilemma (Oct 5), I’d laid out my dilemma with NaNoWriMo. Well, I reached the goal I’d set out in that post (to have my third draft of my current WIP done and sent to Betas) but I still hesitated committing. I felt like I was still burning hot with enthusiasm for this current WIP and if I just worked hard enough with it, I’d have a chance to get it picked up (one can dream, right?). Stopping to do NaNo will distract my feeble brain like a shiny trinket, and I might not regain my enthusiasm for this current WIP.
So, after much deliberation, I decided not to do NaNo this year. It was tough, especially as I know more writers this time around and NaNo is being talked about more than ever, I just know it’ll be even more fun this year.
But, now I’m at that cooling off stage for my current WIP as I wait for feedback from my Betas and I feel like I’m spinning wheels. I’d established good writing/revising habits over the summer and now that time is being sucked up by building my author platform. Don’t get me wrong, that’s important too, but I suspect I’ll be able to find a nice balance pretty soon and I might then drop my current schedule and start sleeping in, etc. Anyway, this is all to say I’m now having second thoughts about NaNo. Maybe I should do it? But I don’t even have an idea yet! Perhaps I could do a sequel to my current WIP so that I’m still in that story world.
Then in December I could let that WIP cool, and pick this one back up?
Experienced authors, what do you think? I’m really close to the stage of querying my current WIP. Should I stay with it and not get distracted by NaNo? Or would it be good to start a new project at this stage?
- It’s NaNoWriMo time… (jamesgardneruk.wordpress.com)
- NaNoWriMo is Right Around the Corner! (soulishexhortations.wordpress.com)
- NaNoWriMo: We’re Down To The Wire, Part 1 (sociallyacceptedmadness.wordpress.com)
- NaNo is but a week away! Also, things on hiatus for NaNo! (soulishexhortations.wordpress.com)
- NaNoWriMo – The Countdown Continues (chyrondave.wordpress.com)
- Angelique’s NaNoWriMo survival guide (angeliquemichaels.wordpress.com)